Airplanes shown on the tarmac near the Santa Monica Municipal Airport Control Tower. Santa Monica Airport was previously known as Clover Field. The rotating beacon was moved from Downey in 1952 and installed at SMO. The control tower was designated as a City of Santa Monica landmark in 1988. The image is from the Santa Monica Environmental and Public Works Management Collection.